Frequently Asked Questions
On this page, we've put together the answers to many commonly asked questions about Invisalign. If you would like more information, please contact us or book a FREE Invisalign consultation with one of our dental professionals Dr James Philpott , Dr John Burford or Dr Lance Mundy.
Q: What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a clinically proven, virtually invisible way to straighten teeth without metal braces.
Invisalign is a series of removable, clear plastic aligners which are worn day and night over your teeth to gradually move them into the desired position. Each aligner set is worn for about two weeks and is then replaced with the next in the series until your treatment is complete.
Q: What are the benefits of
Benefits of straighter teeth: The benefits of having a straight smile without crowding or gaps extend far beyond the cosmetic. Teeth that are crowded or have gaps between them are often more susceptible to gum disease. They may also be difficult to brush or floss, leading to tooth decay. Straightening your teeth can result in better dental health, and the self-confidence that comes with having a smile you're proud of.
Benefits of using Invisalign over traditional braces: There are several benefits when comparing traditional braces and Invisalign. These include:
- Cosmetic benefits: Invisalign aligners are made of clear plastic material and are virtually unnoticeable, allowing you to straighten your teeth without anyone noticing.
- Oral health benefits: There are no wires or metal to cause mouth abrasions with Invisalign as compared to traditional braces. And because Invisalign aligners are removable, you can eat, drink, brush and floss normally to maintain healthy gums and teeth. Being removable, they also make regular dental check-ups easier.
- More predictable treatment: With the ClinCheck software, you can actually see what your smile will look like after treatment even before you begin. And because we can review the progress during your treatment and make adjustments mid-treatment if required, you have a high level of control over your Invisalign treatment.
Q: What is Invisalign made of?
Invisalign aligners are made of SmartTrack which is an elastic aligner material made of a medical grade polyurethane resin that is bisphenol-A (BPA) free. This thermoplastic material looks similar to tooth-whitening trays.
Q: How do Invisalign Invisible
A series of Invisalign invisible aligners are custom-made in a laboratory using advanced computer imaging technology. You wear each Invisalign aligner for two weeks before replacing it with the next one, until your teeth are straight.
Here at Epsom Dentalcare, we have developed a simple four-step Invisalign plan:
- Step 1: Book in for your free consultation: One of our Invisalign practitioners will answer your questions and show you some of our previous work to ensure you are well informed and confident about your choice.
- Step 2: Receive your Invisalign treatment plan: At your records appointment, we will take x-rays, photographs and digital impressions of your teeth to create a treatment plan for straightening your teeth.
- Step 3: Create your new smile: We will then go to work creating your new smile. The treatment plan, along with the latest 3D computer imaging technology, is used in the laboratory to create your clear aligners. The number of aligners needed (usually 15 to 30), depends on your specific circumstances.
- Step 4: Maintain and smile! About every 2-3 weeks, you will replace your existing aligners with the next set in your series. And every 2-6 weeks, depending on your situation, you will visit our clinic to ensure your treatment is progressing properly. It typically takes 6 to 18 months to complete orthodontic treatment with Invisalign.
Q: Is Invisalign treatment only
No, for Invisalign treatment you just need to have all of your permanent teeth (fully erupted molars). However, you must be committed to wearing your Invisalign aligners at all times except for eating, drinking and cleaning.
At Epsom Dentalcare we see a range of different ages from young to older patients and we definitely encourage you to come in for a complimentary consultation if you would like to know more about Invisalign.
Q: How long does Invisalign
Most Invisalign treatments take 12–18 months.
Q: How long do I have to wear
Invisalign is most effective when aligners are worn for 21 to 23 hours a day.
Q: Can I eat and drink with my
Invisalign aligners are easily removable so you can still enjoy your favourite foods snacks and drinks, without feeling uncomfortable.
Q: Do the Invisalign aligners
You will feel temporary pressure when you wear Invisalign aligners for the first few days, and after each new aligner is used, as your teeth are being moved into their position, but this discomfort usually disappears after a couple of days.
Q: Are there any side-effects in
using Invisalign invisible braces?
As with conventional treatments, you may feel a slight pressure at first when using Invisalign Clear Braces. Invisalign aligners may temporarily affect the speech for some people, and you may have a slight lisp for a day or two until your speech adjusts.
Q: How much does Invisalign cost?
Because Epsom Dentalcare is a certified Invisalign provider and treats a high number of Invisalign cases per year, this results in a reduced cost for us which we pass on to our patients. We can offer Invisalign from as little as $3000 (depending on individual cases).
We also provide a FREE Invisalign consultation to answer all your queries, as well as a complimentary take-home teeth whitening kit at the end of your treatment. We are confident in our ability to provide the best possible value for your treatment and are happy to beat any genuine written quote.
Q: Will dental insurance cover
any of the costs of my Invisalign treatment?
Yes, providing you have orthodontic coverage, Invisalign should be covered to the same extent as conventional braces. You will need to check the policy details of your individual insurance plan.
Q: How do I get started?
To get started simply contact us and our friendly team will arrange a consultation. After your initial Invisalign evaluation, we will discuss your goals for a new smile. We will then plan your full Invisalign treatment and take your impressions and photographs. With advanced computer technology we can then show you what your results may look like.